"Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another.
No one has ever seen God; If we love one another, God lives in us, and His love is perfected in us" 1 John 4:11 - 12 NRSV
What do Stephen Ministers Do? Click here to learn more.
Stephen Ministers are trained to provide one-to-one ministry by reaching out to others in time of need. Stephen Ministers are commissioned servants who complete a comprehensive 50-hours training program.
Stephen Ministers help those who are...
In a job crisis
New church members
In a spiritual crisis
Looking for a caring, Christian friend
Know Someone In Need of a Stephen Minister? Do you know someone - either you, a relative, or a friend - who is hurting and in need of Christian care? The Stephen Ministry Referrals Coordinator learns about this need for care from a pastor, friend (only after the person in need has granted permission) or the person themselves. The Referrals Coordinator will then meet with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry. With the person's permission, the Referrals Coordinator assigns a Stephen Minister to meet on a weekly basis with them and the Stephen Minister to provide Christian care that is strictly confidential.
To place a referral or to request a Stephen Minister, please contact Pastor Holly.
For a copy Agreement to Receive Care form click here.
Interested in becoming a Stephen Minister?
Do you listen well to your friends when they have problems? Do you have a caring heart? Would you like to do something to show Gods's love to another person? Can you just be with someone who is in pain? If so, you could be a Stephen Minister! Stephen Ministers are required to attend and participate in a 50-hour training program and serve as a Stephen Minister for 18 months after completing the training program. Please contact Pastor Holly for more information and for an application.
BECOMING A STEPHEN MINISTER
What do Stephen Ministers do?
- Provide one-to one ministry as trained, reaching out to others in times of need.
- Engage in a caregiving relationship that focuses on the unique needs of each person. This caregiving relationship last as long as the needs exist.
- Receive support, guidance, and supervision from Stephen Leaders and from each other within supervision groups in order to maintain effective Christian care to others.
Importance of Confidentiality
- Confidentiality is an absolute must!
- Breaches of confidentiality cannot be tolerated.
Stephen Ministers are Commissioned Servants
- Willingness to give of oneself in servanthood is vital.
- The level of one’s education is not important, but the level of one’s commitment as a Christian and one’s desire to really care for others is important.
- Stephen Ministers will be commissioned at the end of the 50-hour trainingprogram. (You must be a member of this church in order to be commissioned.)
- Four books from St. Louis will be ordered & used: Cost is @ $50
1. Stephen Ministry Training Manual Vol. 1 & 2
2. Christian Caregiving – A Way of Life
3. Speaking the Truth in Love
4. Mental Health Booklet
- A library of other books and materials will be available for reading and reference by Stephen Ministers.
Responsibilities of a Stephen Minister
- A 24 month commitment to the program
- Attendance and participation in the 50 hour training program
- Study of the training materials
- Service as a Stephen Minister (usually involving a one hour weekly one-to-one visit) for 18 months following completion of the training program.
- Attendance at twice monthly Supervision and Continuing Education
The Application – Interview Process
Each person willing to assume the responsibilities of a Stephen Minister and beconsidered for the upcoming training class should complete an application and return it to the church office to be placed in a confidential folder provided as soon as possible
- A private interview will be done over the phone or in person by one or more of the Stephen Leaders.
- Members of our next training class will begin training at Stonebridge UMC on dates TBD.
For more information, please contact Pastor Holly.